The recent integration of ChatGPT with Bing has opened up new possibilities for searching the web in a more conversational and intuitive way. With ChatGPT now powering Bing, you can ask questions, refine searches, and get high-quality results without having to sift through pages of links.
What is Browse with Bing?
‘Browse with Bing’ is a new conversational search experience powered by ChatGPT artificial intelligence. When you click the ‘Browse with Bing’ button on the Bing search results page, it will open up a chat interface where you can have a dialogue with ChatGPT to refine your search query, ask follow-up questions, and get summaries of web pages without having to click through to multiple sites.
The key benefit is that ChatGPT will understand the context of your search and have a back and forth conversation to help you find what you’re looking for. You can ask questions in natural language, and ChatGPT will provide annotated summaries of web pages, along with links so you can easily dive deeper if needed.
How to Activate Browse with Bing
Activating ‘Browse with Bing’ is simple:
- Go to Bing.com and enter a search query as usual.
- Scan through the search results and click the ‘Browse with Bing’ button that appears among the top results.
- A chat interface will open up on the right side of the screen with ChatGPT ready to converse.
- Type or speak your follow-up questions and refinements to guide your search.
Once you’ve activated the chat, you can have a natural back and forth with ChatGPT to find what you’re looking for on the web.
Refining Your Search with Conversation
- Ask follow-up questions – If your initial search results aren’t quite what you had in mind, ask questions to focus the search better. E.g. “I’m looking for recipes that don’t use dairy products.”
- Get summaries of pages – Ask for a quick summary of a search result to determine if it’s relevant before clicking through. E.g. “Can you briefly summarize this page about low-cost vacation destinations?”
- Compare pages – Want to choose from a few options? Ask ChatGPT to compare and contrast pages to help you decide. E.g. “What are the main differences between these two camera reviews?”
- Ask for clarification – If you get a response you don’t understand, ask follow-ups to get clearer explanations. E.g. “What do you mean by that?”
- Change direction – If you need to pivot your search, just let ChatGPT know. E.g. “Let’s look for kid-friendly recipes instead.”
The key is engaging with ChatGPT in a conversational way as you would with a human expert. Let the dialogue guide you toward the information you need.
Getting Quick Answers without Clicking Through
In many cases, you may not need to visit multiple websites to get the information you’re seeking. With ‘Browse with Bing’, you can ask ChatGPT to summarize key details so you can get the answer quickly.
Some ways to get fast answers include:
- Get the main points – “Can you summarize the key points in this article about how to sell on eBay?”
- Get numerical details – “What is the current unemployment rate according to this economic data page?”
- Get step-by-step instructions – “Please walk me through the steps for fixing a clogged drain based on this DIY guide.”
- Get pros and cons – “What are the pros and cons of buying a smart TV versus a streaming device according to this review?”
- Compare products/services – “What are the main differences in features between the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 based on these specs pages?”
The conversational nature of ‘Browse with Bing’ means you can zero in on the exact details you need, allowing you to quickly get answers without having to dive deep into multiple sites.
Using ChatGPT’s Knowledge for Broader Searches
The integration with ChatGPT also means you can tap into a much broader knowledge base to enhance your search. Take advantage by:
- Asking general knowledge questions – Get definitions, facts, translations, and more. E.g. “What year was the first Star Wars movie released?”
- Expanding your search beyond the web – Look for information that may not be on an active webpage. E.g. “What are some rarely used spices that pair well with fish?”
- Getting personalized recommendations – Ask for suggestions tailored to your needs. E.g. “Can you recommend some ten minute morning yoga routines for beginners?”
- Checking for accuracy – Have ChatGPT double check facts across sources. E.g. “Based on authoritative health resources, is it true that turmeric reduces inflammation?”
ChatGPT’s knowledge makes it possible to have a truly conversational search experience, beyond just looking for ranked webpages.
Tips for Productive ‘Browse with Bing’ Sessions
Here are some final tips to make the most of your ‘Browse with Bing’ conversations with ChatGPT:
- Be as specific as possible when clarifying your queries so ChatGPT gives you relevant information.
- Ask for summaries before page clicks so you don’t waste time on irrelevant sites.
- Request comparisons of top search results to determine which to explore further.
- If you hit dead ends in the conversation, rephrase your questions and clarify context.
- Be open-ended to allow discoveries beyond your initial search intent.
- Double check any factual information ChatGPT provides by asking for sources.
- End your chat by asking if ChatGPT has any other recommendations related to your search.
With some practice, ‘Browse with Bing’ can take your searching to the next level. The natural language capabilities open up more possibilities to explore the web efficiently.
Have fun experimenting with different ways to refine your searches through conversational exchanges! The AI-powered assistant aims to provide whatever information you need in the most seamless way possible.
The integration of ChatGPT conversational AI into Bing has reinvented web search by enabling more intuitive, interactive experiences. With the ‘Browse with Bing’ feature, you can have human-like exchanges with ChatGPT to rapidly hone in on the information you seek.
Asking follow-up questions, getting summaries, and tapping into a broad knowledge base allows you to search smarter. Instead of endlessly clicking through links, you can get answers directly from ChatGPT based on your specific needs.
Practice refining your searching with back and forth dialogue, being as specific as possible with your queries. The AI will rapidly improve at fulfilling your search intents.
With ‘Browse with Bing’, the future of web search looks more productive, efficient, and satisfying. So dive in, start a conversation, and see where it leads you!
- How do I activate “Browse with Bing”?
- Click the “Browse with Bing” button on the Bing search results page to open the chat interface.
- Can I use voice commands?
- Yes, you can speak your questions and refinements to have a conversational search.
- Does “Browse with Bing” work on mobile?
- The feature is currently available on desktop only, but mobile support is coming soon.
- What languages does it support?
- For now, it’s English only, but additional languages will likely be added down the road.
- Is there a time limit for chatting?
- No, you can have an ongoing dialogue with ChatGPT through Bing without any time restrictions.
- Will it try to sell me stuff?
- No, unlike ads on normal search results, “Browse with Bing” aims only to provide helpful information to your queries.
- What if I don’t get good results at first?
- Rephrase your questions and provide more context to steer the chat to get the answers you need.
- Can ChatGPT summarize YouTube videos too?
- Not currently, but summarizing visual information is on the roadmap for the future.
- Does ChatGPT have all the answers?
- No, its knowledge comes from training data up until 2021. For accurate facts, it’s best to verify with additional sources.
- Is my chat history secure?
- Yes, Microsoft does not associate chat logs with user accounts or store conversations. Your dialogue remains anonymous.